last edited: 10 Sep 2021
From the money we gain from ending the US’ Global Terrorism Programs (GTP) we can redirect it into massive infrastructure spending to support a complete shift to sustainable: communities, energy, transport, farming, etc… as well as working towards directly and aggressively combating climate change and global pollution. Working quickly to combat climate change and cleaning up global pollution is an imperative, for if we do not, then Humanity will soon be destroyed by our willful corruption and ignorance.
You can also read:
- The US military is a bigger polluter than more than 100 countries combined (Quartz, Jun 2019) (Study at RGS, Jun 2019)
- US military is a bigger polluter than as many as 140 countries – shrinking this war machine is a must (The Conversation, Jun 2019)
- We Can Save the Planet by Defunding the Pentagon (Truthout, Sep 2019)
- Why the United States Is Killing the World (Our Changing Climate, Aug 2021) – YouTube
A cleaner environment such as air, water, food, and more green spaces will have far reaching positive returns in the health, happiness, and productivity of each and every person. We shall make the money spent in this massive investment area back within 10 years just by virtue of the massive reduction stress, pollution, and healthcare costs alone.
Also, keep in mind that it will be the least among us who suffer most from climate change and pollution. This means not just the struggling and poverty stricken of our own country of which there are too many, but also specifically those people from the developing and emerging countries of the world which will lead to, as we are seeing now, global starvation, environmental devastation, as well as massive refugee movements. Inequality is one of the largest killers in existence and climate and pollution is a massive part of that death toll. The rich and affluent think that they will be able to spend their way out ecological collapse, but at some point sooner than later they will need to understand:
When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted; when to breathe the air is sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you can’t eat money.Alanis Obomsawin (Abenaki Indian)
A. Media to Get You Started
Take a look at these videos and the graphic below to prepare yourself for the level of change of the policies that I will propose. Look through these in the order I have it here for it will flow in a way that makes sense.
- Planet on Fire (Bill Nye)
- Man by Steve Cut
- Carl Sagan’s Climate Change Keynote Speech (1990)
- Average Planetary Temperature Over the Last 20,000 Years
- Climate Change Is An Absolute Nightmare – This Is Why
- Who Is Responsible For Climate Change? Who Needs to Fix It?
- IPCC Report 2021
- Climate Change Tracking Worst-Case Scenario (Climate Change Institute, Sep 2021)
1. Planet on Fire (Bill Nye)
If you have not seen this quick and entertaining clip from Bill Nye (38 secs) then please do because it brings to front the crisis that we are facing:
From the first moment I saw this video Man by Steve Cut (3 min 36 sec) I loved it because it really underscored Humanity’s callousness and thoughtlessness towards the environment:
3. Carl Sagan’s Climate Change Keynote Speech (1990)
Also, if you have not watched the Carl Sagan video from the introduction section where he talks about climate change and, unfortunately, his words are still very, very relevant today. His speech, as always, was powerful and amazingly prophetic: Carl Sagan from his Keynote Speech at the Emerging Issues Forum in Feb of 1990 (1 hour 5 min). On my linked to post I also have a transcript of the speech available too.
4. Average Planetary Temperature Over the Last 20,000 Years
In a post of mine I showed this amazing graphic from XKCD which shows the change in Earth’s average temperature from 20,000 years ago until now. It is powerful to see how much of a radical difference Humanity has had since the industrial revolution. Temperature is NOT supposed to move like that. Seeing how radical this change is can help to underscore how large our crisis is.
Here is just the last part which shows the radical change that Humanity has created:
5. Climate Change Is An Absolute Nightmare – This Is Why (Up is Not Jump)
This is an amazing video – Climate Change Is An Absolute Nightmare – on how climate change is a thing and goes through a bit of the research and reasoning. I enjoyed the sense of humor present in the video, although it may be a bit much for some. Just plow through it and learn some stuff.
6. Who Is Responsible For Climate Change? (Kurzgesagt)
Here is a great summary video about nation states and their historical pollution rates: Who Is Responsible For Climate Change? Who Needs to Fix It? by Kurzgesagt:
7. IPCC Report 2022
Here is the 2022 report from the UN’s International Panel for Climate Change (IPCC):
8. Climate Change Tracking Worst-Case Scenario (Climate Emergency Institute)
This is a comprehensive examination of climate change indicators by Peter Carter which shows they are at record highs, increasing faster than ever and tracking the worst-case scenario.
B. Our Collective Ecocide
Continuing to operate our civilization the way we are now, polluting and poisoning the natural world like it will last forever, will only end up with a dystopian future like we are starting to see emerge now with our collective ecocide through Climate Change with much of the world, especially the United States, doing nothing about it. Such continued idiocy will only end up with Earth ending up first like the deserted, violent, and desperate wasteland of Mad Max, and then eventually like the deserted hellscape of the planet Venus which has clouds and rain made of sulfuric acid. The planet Venus is a great example of what happens when greenhouse gases run out of control. The transition to a deserted hellscape is already beginning with:
- the hottest years on record occurring within the last few years
- so many parts of the globe being on fire (Alaska, Amazon, Australia, California, Siberia, etc)
- the acidification of the oceans
I am pretty sure that is not what we want – Earth to become a hellscape like the world of Mad Max or Venus, right?
We have the ability to stop all of those horrors from happening by working towards stopping pollution, cleaning up and remediating natural spaces, and working together as a Humanity united in forging our collective salvation and progress. Once we have saved ourselves from a Venusian annihilation then, together we can work together to make our existence and world great for all of us.
We have the knowledge.
We have the technology.
We have the resources.
We just have to find the will do make it so.
C. Radical and Crisis Level of Action Needed
“I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you’re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You’re a plague and we are the cure.”Agent Smith (The Matrix, 1999)
For far too long has Humanity been a plague upon the world – tearing up, polluting, and ravaging it without a thought of consequences to the environment or to how such actions would affect Humanity. With all of the environmental horrors we have wrought since the industrial age, and thrusting us within a new epoch – the Anthropocene or the Sixth (6th) Great Extinction – it cannot be said the humans are an intelligent species because we are destroying the only planet we have. There is no planet B. And, the real sad thing is that we have known about climate change since the early 1800’s (Wikipedia). We have had plenty of time to do something about it and to prevent the horrors we are seeing today, especially with the technological advancements of the last 50 years, and yet nothing has been done. Worse yet, Republicans, Democrats, and their corporate owners are fighting tooth-and-nail against it, against saving Humanity from extinction. If any bill goes through Congress and does not add up with 10-20 trillion dollars per year for the next 10 years going towards rebuilding infrastructure, ending corporate subsidies, sustainable energy, adding green spaces, fixing our food production, etc… then Congress is voting for Human Extinction.
As I say in the Background section of this site, that if any proposed changes are not radical then they are not worth considering, and this section really, really embodies this principle.
The required radical changes fall in 5 broad areas:
- Disaster Preparation
- Sustainable Industries
- Sustainable Energy
- Sustainable Communities
- Sustainable Food Production
I. Disaster Preparation
If we pollute the air, water, and soil that keep us alive and well, and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function, no amount of money will save us.David Suzuki, Zoologist, author, and environmental activist
A. Declare a Climate Change a Human Extinction Level Event
We need to declare Climate Change as a National Security Issue (to which the Department of Defense has already recognized) and we need to act so decisively to the point of literally declaring War on Climate Change and to fully use the US military and its resources in order to work towards saving Humanity because that is what it is really going to take.
But, not only that, Climate Change needs to be specifically declared a Human Extinction Level Event (HELE) because that is what is at stake here – Human Extinction. Either we act collectively as a globalized civilization to attack this environmental crisis or we shall fall country by country and state by state into poverty, starvation, drought, chaos, revolution, and war – the clip and clap of the fall of the dominoes of capitalistic ecocide until only the only thing that shall be heard is the thunderous roar of acidic wind storms over lifeless and dusty landscapes, the fall of a humanity divided.
Here is an amazing link which coverers the current horrors of climate change:
Here is an amazing link which coverers the future horrors of climate change:
B. US Military
The US military is one of the largest polluters and consumers of energy in the world. Therefore, it shall have 1 year to create a 5 year plan to correct that, including a complete shift to sustainable energy and technologies.
We need to do the work now instead of after it is too late which will cause much property damage, suffering, and the loss of innocent lives. To not do so is completely irresponsible, unethical, and fails the people, our country, and Humanity. You can check my US Machine for War and Terrorism policies here.
C. Climate Change
- Resign the Paris Climate Accord (even though this is non-binding, toothless, and relatively performative political theater)
- Climate Change will be classified as a National Security Issue, a Global Security Issue, and a Human Extinction Level Event.
- The US government will have 1 year to create a 5 year plan to combat climate change in the US and worldwide, which should also include:
- the utilization of the various National Guards as well as the other arms of the military as a potential workforce to get things done
- massive use of technology such the use of drones in planting trees and other work
- investing in and building technology which directly removes carbon dioxide from the air or heat from the environment.
- There is an amazing project that uses algae to do that which is, in the short term, more powerful than using trees
- Launch a swarm of micro-satellites over the poles to provide shade (block infrared) for the poles to cool it down and to reduce the effects of global warming and to help restore environmental equilibrium. They could collect also store solar power, as well as contain as sensors to send data to the surface and micro-cameras (large telescope), or even act as a charging station for satellites, etc.
- Here is Project Drawdown which has a lot of sustainable techniques.
D. Disaster Preparation
We need to do serious research in how we can prepare ourselves for climate change and for such disasters as:
- the 20+ super volcanoes erupting such as the one under Yellowstone
- raging forest fires in California, Arctic, Siberia, Canada, Amazon, etc…
- rising sea levels, massive flooding and rains
- food and water shortages
- increasingly acidic rain and oceans
- increasingly hotter temperatures
- wet bulb temperatures
- millions of climate refugees
… instead of being caught with our pants down like has happened in Puerto Rico, Atlanta, and the various other places that have been struck by environmental tragedy where the US government has completely and totally failed leaving our people to suffer and die. This is especially important with somewhere near 2.4 billion people (1/3 of Humanity living on the coasts) that will end up being climate refugees with the next 50 to 100 years.
- A nation-wide analysis and report about which areas will be affected and how from those sorts of disasters.
- Come up with a system to prevent, mitigate, or work with such disasters and its damage or effects, such as forming areas to accommodate for rising water levels such as some of the Nordic countries are doing.
- We need drastic infrastructure evolution so that these potentially affected populations and communities can either:
- compensate for the dramatic environmental changes without an issue
- or we can move these entire communities out of the way of these issues into new sustainable and disaster resistant smart cities.
- New Climate Maps Show a Transformed United States (Propublica, Sep 2020)
- Lands That Will FLOOD in Our Lifetime (Atlas Pro)
E. Preparing for Mad Max and Venus
As an addition to the above section, we will also want to look at urban construction and designs that might work in an environment similar to the planet Venus because that is the sort of environment we are heading for, especially because of these 3 powerful recent events:
- the Amazon Rain Forest, Arctic, Siberia, Australia, etc was on fire
- the ocean is acidifying
- highest temperatures ever recorded in history
… which will result in a hotter temperatures, stronger storms, and a more more acidic environment including increasing acid rain so our structures will need to be able to cope with these new extreme environmental changes.
We will also need to look at water reserves and food production as well as create refugee centers and cities because climate change is destroying the world as we definitely see in the fires in Australia with people fleeing to the ocean (climate refugees) while 2 cyclones are heading their way (climate change). A new dystopian future is coming and we really need to be proactive in preparing for it. It costs less (especially in human lives) to prepare now then to deal with this as an emergent issue.
E. Genetic Collections and Databases
We need to create a large scale collection of organic and digital genetic samples of all species on the planet from bacteria, viruses, bugs, plants, animals, and humans so as to help ensure that Humanity and the life forms found on our planet of origin may be able to be recreated if needed at some time in the future after we have effectively destroyed ourselves through ecocide or war. This will also be useful so that we may be able to grow such creatures in galaxies and planets far away when we eventually colonize them.
II. Environmental Preservation
A. Nature Preserves
1. Global Nature Preserves
We need to declare the Great Barrier Reef and the Amazon Rainforest (and other such places) as global preserves protected from all pollution, farming, fishing, and development of any sort for they act as a breath of life for our planet. They should also be removed from national ownership and made a common heritage to ALL of Humanity and be protected, conserved, healed, and expanded by an international administration.
2. Local Nature Commons
Such a concept could be done locally as well and should be done on a large scale and working towards preserving and restoring such natural areas, and preventing them from being destroyed by civilization from over use and pollution, etc; and managed and maintained locally too.
B. Environmental Remediation
We need to look at our natural environment and then start to fix it as much as possible to compensate for and prevent pollution and the unnecessary destruction of the environment that Humanity has a penchant for doing. Global environmental remediation and protection is a survival imperative.
- Breaking Planned Obsolescence as a Profit Model – In order to reduce waste and to stop the harms of planned obsolescence as a profit model:
- we need to set aggressive standards for:
- sustainable energy and resource usage
- quality of life for products – set minimums product life times and try to maximize them within reason
- efficiency – increase efficiencies
- universality and modularity – require and reward
- ease of maintenance – repair should always be an option
- complete recyclability
- grant tax deductions or grants for the above
- increase taxes on non-renewable resource use and non-compliance for the above
- we need to set aggressive standards for:
- Environmental Remediation
- To ensure we have the best techniques for this process we will want to refer to indigenous wisdom to expand our pool of environmental knowledge, techniques and methods.
- Deserts and other barren areas can be completely rehabilitated to be budding forests in about 10 years. There are several groups working on that.
- End deforestation
- Plant a billion new trees in every country (with drones)
- Clean up the oceans even to the deepest and darkest depths:
- global work towards cleaning all trash and pollutants from oceans
- global ban on dumping waste into the ocean and any water sources
- recycling all plastics
- filtering out microbeads, microfibers, and glitter; stop using consumer balloons
- filter out chemicals (medical waste, biowaste, agri-runoff, etc)
- use bioremdiative and other methods for cleaning the oceans such as:
- oysters farming
- regenerating coral reefs and oyster reefs
- Dig up old landfills and other waste areas and completely recycle and remediate them.
III. Sustainable Industries
A. Regenerative Open Source Circular Economies (ROSCE)
Read Doughnut Economics by Kate Raworth for more information.
1. Regenerative Design
We need to work towards a Regenerative Design, which means business and processes will want to not just be carbon and water neutral, etc… but aim to be resource negative – as in, how much its processes or facilities can help to make the environment better in the process such as through:
- green walls and roofs
- carbon negative or carbon sequestration
- buildings treating their own wastewater
- “Generous Cities”
As an example:
- Japan recycles 98% of the metal it uses domestically.
- coffee grounds can be recycled into mushrooms which can be used for livestock feed or other uses
2. Open Source
We need a complete shift to open source, modular, and universal designs to increase efficiency and reduce waste, as well as to take advantage of the global brain trust to solve problems. Databases of designs, plans, repair manuals and processes, etc… should be available for the public to use, submit design, and to support. This is a first step the shift into supporting an Open Source Circular Economy (OSCE).
3. Circular Economy
If it can’t be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled, or composted, then it should be restricted, designed or removed from production.Pete Seeger, Folk Singer & Social Activist
All manufacturing, building, production, agrarian, organizational, business, governmental, personal, etc… projects and processes should:
- study and minimize negative environmental and ecological impact
- study and minimize negative impact on humans
- utilize AI, automation, and 3D printing as much as practicable
- follow full life-cycle sustainable processes by:
- using sustainable energy, technologies, and techniques,
- full recycling of all manufacturing byproducts and the product itself by:
- providing a service to do
- using a service which can do so
- provide an outline for fully automated technical process to recycle a product which can and will be created and utilized
- allow for the convenient repair of all products
- create a plan for full remediation of all of the affected environments and ecologies
B. Sustainable Businesses
1. Nation-Wide Business Pollution Evaluation
Did you know that: Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of global emissions?
All companies and their processes must be evaluated as far as how much pollution they have done and are doing:
- They will have 1 year to create a 5 year plan to completely remediate all environmental damage caused directly or indirectly (over the entirety of their operation and of their subsidiaries).
- Change their processes to completely prevent this in the future.
- Face an increasing amount of taxes every year until as such time as they have complied or be taken over by the government and CEOs/managers will be jailed.
2. Environmental Certification and Rating Organizations:
Create national organization(s) to aid with the above processes which shall also create and manage evaluations and certifications for various levels regernerativeness, sustainability, and efficiency compliance:
- Creation of:
- infrastructure and facilities
- Recycling of:
- recycling of process byproducts
- recycling of products
- recycling of infrastructure and facilities
- Protection, Remediation, and Mitigation of Harm to:
- environment and ecologies
- how much does it add to the betterment of the environment or natural resources
- Open Source – How much open source:
- is used by the business
- contributed by the business
- supported by the business
- Circular Economy – Contributes to circular economies through the additional steps:
IV. Sustainable Energy
Becoming completely energy independent through sustainable energy sources is a national security issue due to these 3 reasons:
- Climate Change – fossil fuels increases general pollution and accelerates global warming due to releasing carbon dioxide and other Green House gases
- Economic and Trade Issues – will ensure that we will NOT be beholden to foreign powers such as Russia and the Arabic countries because we will no longer need to trade for fossil fuels
- Geopolitical and Military Issues – will keep us out of the Middle East and other countries in search of oil and other fossil fuels which also reduces the desire to inflict freedom and democracy on other countries through our Global Terrorism Projects.
A. Non-Sustainable Energy Sources
1. Nuclear Power
Nuclear power is in NO way a form of sustainable energy. Thorium reactors are no better. Their 300 years of waste vs Uranium’s 10,000 years of waste is not a difference that matters to Humanity. Just check out the results from Fukishima and Chernobyl and the environmental implications of any of those storage facilities leaking – and they will because that is inevitable. Unless magical precognition exists nuclear energy shall never truly be a sustainable energy option, and therefore:
- Current applications to build reactor plants will be terminated
- Any plant that is not currently built and operational should terminate building and shall have their permit/license terminated, and these facilities shall be fully recycled and the local environment remediated.
- Current operational reactor plants will have 1 year to create a 5 year plan to:
- shift to alternative energy
- recycle premises
- completely remediate all environmental damage caused directly or indirectly (over the entirety of their operation and of their subsidiaries) even taking into account their radioactive waste
- this one we might be able to wait on since they are already operational, although a plan must be created to handle its end of life transition as talked about above and then a powerful emergency plan will need to be made in order to handle and contain any containment disasters ??… in preparation to be classified as a public utility.
2. Fossil Fuels
We will make the money back from the below process in 10 years due to health care savings alone by reducing pollution, increasing efficiency, and saving the environment.
- They will be held accountable for knowing about and suppressing climate change data and knowledge for decades, destroying the environment for profit, suppressing technologies that could put them out of business, and their owners and managers should be tried for Crimes Against Nature.
- An immediate and complete stop to all Fracking processes. The proprietary patents shall be nullified and released to the public so we can find a way to cleanup this absolute environmental idiocy. Their business, managers, anyone who profited from this, as well as the government officials who passed this or agreed to do this shall be tried and jailed for Crimes Against Nature and Humanity.
- Current applications to build pipelines, rigs, etc… will be terminated. Any incomplete projects will have their permits terminated and those projects are to be completely recycled and their environments remediated.
- Any project that is not currently completely built and operational should terminate building and shall have their permit/license terminated and those projects are to be completely recycled .
- Corporate subsidies and tax breaks shall be terminated
- They will receive a 20% increase in corporate and management taxes
- Sales of fossil fuels shall be subject to explicit price controls.
- Their financial actions will have to be approved by a governmental agency in order to prevent bypassing them or to avoid sabotaging the company so they do not have to deal with it.
- They will have 1 year to create a 5 year plan to:
- shift to alternative energy
- completely remediate all environmental damage caused directly or indirectly (over the entirety of their operation and of all of their subsidiaries…)
- create a job retraining plan to work in the sustainable and other related industries
- all in preparation to be classified as a public utility or else all managers and key decision makers shall face lengthy prison sentences, no compensation including Golden Parachutes, as well as fines for failing not only their company, but Humanity en toto
B. Nationalize Energy Production
- Nationalize – We need to either Nationalize energy production or…
- Municipalize – We can municipalize energy production.
- Non-profit – Energy production should be non-profit.
- Microgrids – We should work towards a more resilient energy grid through setting up microgrids.
- Subsidized – Massive subsidies and grants, if not outright purchasing sustainable energy on a federal level should be done, as well as giving tax breaks for sustainable energy businesses and infrastructure.
C. Shift to a Completely Sustainable Energy Economy
1. Utilize AI and Machine Learning to Advance Sustainable Energy
Watch this amazing video titled Google and Amazon are Now in the Oil Business (Vox, Jan 2020) which was shared to me from my live streaming on Twitch.tv. This amazing and short video (~9 mins) really, really enraged me!
This is the exact opposite of what Google and Microsoft should be doing if they were truly ethical companies and were NOT trying to be evil. Using the powerful of AI and machine learn technology to advance fossil fuels is the opposite from what we need to be doing. They are knowingly and willingly accelerating the rate of Humanity’s extinction for fun and profit. This here is the exact reason we need Economies for the Common which would greatly penalize both Google and Microsoft for supporting such destructive industries.
We need to be utilizing these technologies to greatly increase the efficiency and sustainability of sustainable energy so we can completely eliminate fossil fuels. Imagine how many technological advancements within sustainable energy we could make with the full technological weight of Google and Microsoft behind us. Advancing sustainable energy technology is a great use for online computer clusters such as BOINC too.
2. We Definitely Can’t Afford NOT To
a. The Real Human Cost of Pollution and Fossil Fuels
According to ‘Invisible killer’: fossil fuels caused 8.7m deaths globally in 2018, research finds (The Guardian, Feb 2021) there is a significant death toll in real human lives and suffering (8.7 million people a year) to pollution, which is deemed a ‘negative externality‘ to corporations – that violence, suffering, and harm that they do not have to pay for or deal with – the costs being socialized to the public. Imagine what the social, productivity, innovation, and economic cost there is to this? How much have we lost each year due to pollution based suffering and deaths??
Here is quote from the UN which has even more people dying: Access to a healthy environment, declared a human right by UN rights council (UN News, Oct 2021) [bolding mine]:
According to World Health Organization (WHO), 24% of all global deaths, roughly 13.7 million deaths a year, are linked to the environment, due to risks such as air pollution and chemical exposure.
b. Return on Investment for Shifting to Sustainable Energy
This is a study that I have referred to quite a bit in my live stream on Twitch when talking about sustainable energy and healthcare (and someone from my stream just found it for me) – Stanford researcher maps out an alternative energy future for New York (Stanford, Mar 2013).
Here is the important take away from this:
According to the study, if New York switched to WWS (wind, water, sunlight), air pollution–related deaths would decline by about 4,000 annually and the state would save about $33 billion – 3 percent of the state’s gross domestic product – in related health costs every year. That savings alone would pay for the new power infrastructure needed within about 17 years, or about 10 years if annual electricity sales are accounted for. The study also estimates that resultant emissions decreases would reduce 2050 U.S. climate change costs – such as coastal erosion and extreme weather damage – by about $3.2 billion per year.Stanford researcher maps out an alternative energy future for New York (Stanford, Mar 2013)
We can’t really afford not too. Each year we do not do this is billions of dollars lost. How fiscally conservative is that? =(
C. Study Says $4.5 Trillion for Sustainable Transition by 2030
A criticism of this study is that both only took into account solar, wind turbines, and batteries, which for me is an incredibly limiting factor – tidal, geothermal should have been included at the very minimum. With concentrating on a lot of solar will have a significant issue with rare earth minerals which could be problematic. Other than that, it was a good read on the issues and potential deployment
This amounts to $450 billion per year while spend $720 billion in Defense spending in 2020. Congress has $3.5 trillion dollars in spending for CoVID during these first 9 months or so. So, why have we not funded this? Oh, that’s right… they can do so, but the fossil fuel industry does not pay them too. YEAARRGGHH! We could do this. We could do this ALL right now.
3. Sustainable Energy Types
We need to work towards a completely sustainable energy economy. Other Countries have done this or are working towards this and so can we.
See the appendix on Sustainable Energy in the book The New Human Rights Movement for much, much more information. This book is worth it just for this appendix which is very, very, very thorough.
- Base Load Energy Production
- We can effectively fit 9 EGS plants into the space of 1 coal plant which can produce all of the power needed for the entirety of humanity.
- If the US government subsidized the hole drilling we could see an explosion of geothermal, because that is the most expensive part of this tech.
- Soil Based
- high altitude solar
- high altitude wind turbines (HAWT), kite systems, wind dams
- Wireless Power Transmission:
- Power Satellites
- Launch Power Satellites primarily to generate power from solar energy in orbit and can be used to beam power down to the earth or other stellar areas such as space stations or ships
- could be used to power a laser to break up stellar debris or to act as a stellaser (stellar laser) (Interstellar Highways).
- could act partially as a solar infrared shade, especially if used over the poles
- Welcome to the Age of Wireless Electricity (Interesting Engineering, Sep 2021)
- Power Satellites
- Intermittent Energy Production
- Solar – panels, windows, paint, concentrated solar
- Hydro – hydroelectric
- Wind – vertical axis wind turbines, standard wind turbines
- Energy Recapturing
- Capture EMF
- Piezoelectric: roads, sidewalks, and buildings
- stationary bikes
- small wind turbines on highways
- Energy Storage
4. Combine Sustainable Energy Types
Sustainable energy types should be combined as much as possible in order to maximize energy return on land use. Using land for only one type is a waste of its full potential. As an example:
- a solar farm could be elevated to have vertical axis wind turbines below it, and/or house a hydroponic farm; the wind turbines could be used to cool the solar array
- the heat from the solar array could be drawn off to heat water (which would also cool the array) which could potentially be used for hot water elsewhere or perhaps used in conjunction with a steam turbine
- then also have a high altitude wind turbine and solar farm too
This uses the space below the solar panels and the airspace above the panels to generate energy and/or food too. Hell, let’s do all 4!
- high altitude wind turbines
- solar array
- vertical axis wind turbines
- massive multi-acre hydroponic farm
- high altitude wind turbines
- solar panels
- vertical axis wind turbines
- hydroelectric plant
Just pick any large scale building and design it to have vertical axis wind turbines, solar arrays, and high altitude wind turbines above it.
V. Sustainable Communities
A. Comprehensive Urban Planning for the World of Tomorrow
Our current towns and cities have come into being through organic evolution and happenstance having developed over decades without a long term sustainable, intelligent, efficient, and walkable urban plan which has resulted in significant negative logistical, social, and health ramifications. This fact makes it difficult to upgrade existing cities or to overlay a modern, intelligent, and sustainable social, environmental, or economic designs within current urban plans (or a lack thereof) that is not conducive to such things.
We cannot manifest the world of tomorrow within cities that have been designed using the values, methods, technologies, and plans of past.James O’Neill, Interstellar New Deal
Consider trying to:
- implement an intelligently managed mass transit system in a large city that is not strongly centralized and is quite spread out
- convert to sustainable agriculture in places where it is locally run by money hungry agricorps and their insecticides, herbicides, and pollution
- setup sustainable energy while battling local fossil fuel companies
In order to really effectuate many of the economic, technological, social, environmental, and sustainability changes that we will require in order to transform Humanity and move us into the future, a completely new, intelligent, planned, and sustainable urban design will be needed, one that will reflect our more modern planning, values, and technologies. We need buildings, houses, and infrastructure designed from the ground up with an urban plan which is conducive to more modern, intelligent, smart, and sustainable designs that such plans to thrive there and a be a logical result of them. We also need to design them to holistically to support a specific population.
We need to redesign and replace our cities through such methods as:
- General Urban Design
- Building up
- Building Down
- Universal and Modular Design
… where each city’s infrastructure will be designed from the ground up with all that it needs to support a specific population size in a healthy, intelligent, and sustainable way. We could start with smaller communities first so that we can mature the process and technology before tackling larger metropolitan communities. Although, if this process is done well, such designs should scale well.
It is easier to build sustainable and modular smart cities anew than it is to continuously remodel old and outdated designs and technology, while retaining their many legacy inefficiencies. Once a new city is built, a population can be relocated there and then the out-of-date urban spaces can be completely recycled, the local environment remediated, and the area restored (rewilded) to grasslands, forests, etc.
If we build up and build down as much as possible, then we can reclaim A LOT of the natural world and rewild it, returning to nature.
If we really, really want to plan for a radical new future for an Interstellar Humanity then we can work towards a combination such as this:
- Starscrapers = Arcology + Atlas Pillar + Space Elevator + Orbital Ring
- Horizonscrapers = Earthscraper + Starscraper
Also, in the cities of today or that may be built using The Venus Project ideals, the center of these cities could be an Earthscraper which could act as emergency housing (for those who do not want to live below ground) as well as a full urban space housing aquaponic farms, manufacturing, schools, hospitals, and office spaces, etc to live in as we deal with the horrors and destruction of climate change – fires, flooding, excessive heat, acid rain, droughts, hurricanes, and tornadoes. Such work would also have us developing the research and technologies to build underground cities in other interstellar places such as on the moon or on an asteroid where surface living will be too dangerous for humans too. Switzerland has bunkers available for ALL of its citizens (Bunkers for All, Swiss Info)
It is also very important for your to understand that these are all things we have the resources and technology to do today. Now, I need to you ask why are we not doing this?
B. Sustainable Communities
- Recycle Old and Inefficient Buildings Old buildings need to be torn down, recycled, and then either turned into green spaces or reconstructed using new modern techniques and materials (see below)
- Build Sustainable and Modern Buildings: all new building production should be required to be more sustainable and include such features as:
- need to be made disaster proof based on area survey and analysis while taking into account climate change eventualities
- sustainable housing designs
- sustainable materials (hempcrete and hempwool insulation, mycelium, bamboo, etc)
- weather and pest resistant materials and designs (square buildings are inefficient)
- modular building designs so that when a building is not needed here it can be moved to where it is useful
- localized food production
- sustainable energy production and storage
- smart housing technology
- green roofs or walls – moss is great for this
- earth covered for efficiency
- be livable by all demographics including disabled and the elderly (called Universal Design)
- integrated into a larger sustainable urban plan
- Sustainable and Locally Connected Communities: community buildings could be tied together through a community center which could:
- have sustainable energy generation and storage
- manage local electricity surplus and can share and sell it to other buildings in the neighborhood or to other communities (microgrids);
- act as the central internet provider
- provide large scale urban community hydroponic/aquaponic/aeroponic farms (vertical faming) and organic food sales
- playgrounds and recreation centers
- community center
- community resource sharing and service center
- Increase Use of Technological Advancements
- We need to greatly increase the use of AI, sensors, automation, and 3D printing when it comes to construction. We can use such technological advancements to greatly speed up the building of buildings and for the recycling of old buildings and materials.
- Communities can make better decisions with access to rich pools of data from smart sensors on buildings, mobile devices, and other sources, and the semantic web.
- Sir Tim Berners Lee’s Web 2.0 through his open source Solid frame work through Inrupt.
- Reduce Light Pollution (Dark Sky Ordinances) through Smart Street Lamps (DarkSky.org)
- Base Methods – Here are some ways to deal with and to reduce light pollution from street lamps which will also reduce the effects on the bugs, wild life, and humans too.
- LED’s – switch to LEDs for cleaner and more efficient light source
- Shades – have shades on them to specifically focus and redirect the light to the ground
- Reflectors – have reflectors within the shades to make more efficient use of light
- Warmer Colors – shift the light spectrum used at night to be warmer colors
- Proximity Detection – use proximity detectors to turn them off (or severely dimmed) when NOT needed
- Sustainable Energy Add-ons
- Micro-turbines – add micro vertical axis wind turbines on top for energy generation
- Solar Panels – add solar panels on top of the micro turbines for more energy generation
- Battery – money could be saved by adding batteries so they could charge when electricity is cheaper. This could also be powered by community based microgrids as well.
- Charging Hub – this could also be a charging hub for phones, bikes, etc
- Internet of things Add-ons
- Cell Service – these smart street lamps could provide cellular service in areas where coverage is low
- Wireless – could provide wireless internet to the community
- Traffic Monitoring – could monitor traffic patterns
- Weather monitoring – could monitor weather and environmental conditions
- Pollution Monitoring – could monitor pollution levels
- Gun fire Detection – could detect and triangulate gunfire
- Structural Add-ons
- Static or Dynamic Shade (or rain shielding) – structures to add shade and/or rain protection could be added and could also be proximity detection based too.
- Benches – add a small bench encircling it
- Base Methods – Here are some ways to deal with and to reduce light pollution from street lamps which will also reduce the effects on the bugs, wild life, and humans too.
C. Circular Economy
“If it can’t be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted, then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production.”Pete Seeger
We are essentially looking at bringing into being what is referred to as a “circular economy” which is a life-cycle economy where from beginning to end all products come into being with efficiency and sustainability at all stages, with the end goal of recycle every single part of the production and even the final product.
- Ban on Single Use Plastics and Microplastics: or shift to a non-petroleum based product which biodegrades naturally in 6 weeks or less or, preferably, is safely edible for humans or other life. There are already a quite few products like this on the market.
- Recycle Human Waste: either in a bioremediative or technological way so that it can be returned to the ground and not pollute or contaminate our water and lands.
- Recycle All The Things: Everything needs to be recycled completely. If it cannot be recycled then it should NOT be created.
- Food and other organic waste should be composted and returned to the ground which results in carbon sequestration and fertilizing the earth.
- There is no reason that every single thing cannot be recycled including houses. Entire industries could spring up around this. Automated plans need to be available to recycle everything – a global database.
- If there is not an effective method to recycle something then it should NOT be made.
D. Increase Efficiency Standards
Reinforce and increase general efficiency standards not only for cars and lighting, but also in other areas. Every single increase in efficiency we gain is one bit of energy or other resources wasted. We need to set a minimum product lifetime for 10 years.
E. Shift to Sustainable Energy Transportation
All transportation companies will have 1 year to create a 5 year plan to completely shift all of their cars (and other forms of transport) to sustainable energy which could include:
- retrofitting their current fleets
- creating a buyback or conversion plan to support transition to sustainable energy based vehicles
- adding mass transportation and making it free for all to use
- setting up public sustainable energy charging stations for electric vehicles
- Face an increasing amount of taxes/fines every year until as such time as they have complied.
We will also want to work on designing cities from the ground up with more free and sustainable public mass transportation (electric buses, hyperloops, etc), as well as potentially including smaller services like Uber or Lift.
Public transportation should be free. Public Transport Can Be Free (Jacobin, Aug 2018)
F. Sustain Global Populations
At some point we will have to deal with the global population decline which is inherent to societal progress. Many first world countries are dealing with this currently (US, France, etc). As developing nations emerge to first world status they shall also have to deal with that eventual population decline issue.
For more information on this you will want to research the concept of Demographic Transitions.
G. Sustainable Burial
Humanity’s archaic and regressive methods of dealing with the world’s many dead through the use of burial plots and cremation while our collective population is rising results in several harms:
- pollution from burning through cremation
- the use of toxic chemicals through embalming
- a significant loss in land area and green spaces
We need to consider greener alternatives such as these:
- Living Cocoon
- Mushroom Burial Suit (Ted Talks) – Coeio
- Organic Burial Pods (True Activist)
- Recompose, the first human-composting funeral home in the U.S., is now open for business (The Columbian, Feb 2021)
Large swaths of land could be reclaimed from cemeteries to forests (which can help with climate change) with each tree having been grown from an individual. Each tree could also have a plaque embedded in it or in front of it to commemorate the individual. Such a cemetarial forest or green space could be turned into vertical green spaces too, so that we are able to make more use of the same land which might be even more important as our populations continue to rise, as well as to help combat climate change. We would probably also want a memorial websites available for each individual too.
VI. Sustainable Food Production
A. Base Agriculture Policy Adjustments
- We need to drastically analyze the the agriculture subsidies and shift it to reinforce the values herein with this section.
- With extreme prejudice we need to repeal the agriculture gag laws.
- The former owners and managers of Monsanto (now a part of Bayer) need to be tried at the Hague for crimes against Humanity. International Tribunal Finds Monsanto Guilty of Crimes Against Humanity (News Target) The owners and managers imprisoned and all technology, research, patents, IP, and funds returned to the people which will also us to learn how to combat it.
- The owners and managers also need to be fined for releasing a criminally negligent product which causes massive destruction to the environment and infects non-gmo seed crops.
- All of their engineered seeds need to be destroyed.
- The money from tearing apart the company should be returned to all of the small family farms that were devastated by their lawsuits and criminal negligence, and they should be reconstituted collectively in one way or another, if possible, through the evolved means mentioned below in the Evolution of Farming section.
C. Abundant Food Waste
With the United States wasting 40% of its food supply each year, which is enough to feed the entire starving population of the world, it is not that we don’t have enough food to feed ALL of Humanity, it is that the people who need to extra food the most do not have access to it either through poverty or through inefficient production and delivery, or laws that keep this from being so. This situation is most likely similar in other first world countries too, so there is plenty of food to go around, we just need to make sure that the people who need it are able to get access to it. In a country as abundant as the United States it is a crime for anyone to suffer with hunger.
We need policies in place to require that waste food is sent to food pantries and other places so that the food is NOT wasted and it gets to the people who need it. Whole industries can spring up with this requirement and to make this happen.
- America throws away nearly 40% of the food it produces worth near $165 billion each year. (Food Waste Last Week Tonight 2015)
- Wasted Food in the U.S. Could Feed Much of Population (How Stuff Works 2017)
- We already grow enough crops to feed an extra 10 billion people (Medium, Nov 2019)
D. Hemp Production
The US shall greatly invest in Hemp production and research for:
- construction: hempcrete, hemp based lime, etc
- products: paper, rope, clothes, fabric, plastics
- medicine: hemp oil, CBD oil, etc
- food: seeds, oil, etc
This will also allow us to greatly reduce deforestation and remediate the soil.
E. Evolution of Farming
- Sustainable and Efficient Farming Techniques
- Create a mandate as well as provide economic support for a shift to aquaponic, hydroponic, or aeroponic farming (as much as practicable) because this uses 10% of the land and water and is more easily to be made organic, and can be located in urban areas to keep food production nearer to population areas which also reduces its carbon footprint.
- Shift to permaculture and regenerative agricultural methods to maintain healthier soils, as well as implementing biochar.
- Protect and Support the Pollinators:
- Ban bee killing pesticides.
- Add bees to endangered species list.
- Make destruction of bee colonies a felony
- Create areas in all communities that shall cater to feeding and supporting bees. For without bees much of our ecosystem will collapse which will hearken the end of Humanity.
- Create sustainable bee flower gardens and rest areas and parks.
- Research and Start Using the Most Nutrient Dense Food Sources – We need to start making serious investments and research into food sources which are nutrient dense and require little resources for the amount of food and nutrition it produces such as especially with the upcoming masses of climate refugees:
- Get rid of factory farms and only allow truly free range animals, and then eventually get rid of domesticated animals, and use engineered meat
- For the benefit of all of Humanity we need to stop cows as food.
- Ban farming animals for food fur, skins, etc…; use stem cells or other current alternatives such as:
- Make animal cruelty a crime and register offenders
- Ban import of ivory and wild game trophies as well as fine and imprison people for big game hunting
- Create more parks to ensure unadulterated green spaces
- End zoos as we know them and shift to preserves. Animals should not be penned up in a cage which is cruel. Humans should be put into protective cages to traverse natural habitats in order to experience the natural world.
G. Healthy Food For All
- Organic whole foods should be cheaper than everything else.
- Taxes should be significantly increased on processed foods based on lack of nutritional density or the presence of physiologically harmful ingredients, as well as to support the increased healthcare costs incurred by the consumption of such deadly foods.
- Food should NOT be thrown away but should be either:
- given to those who are in need.
- composted and returned to the ground which results in proper carbon sequestration
VII. Bypassing the Harms of Demographic Transitions in the Global South
The Global South is attempting to follow the United States’ steps through the Demographic Transition which has them running blindly and head-long through the fossil fuel age as a means of driving their economies forward which is devastating to Humanity not only through the poverty and exploitation visceral to it, but more importantly, by being a significant driver for Climate Change.
First world countries are horrifically remiss and short-sighted in allowing this to happen when we do not have to. We have already caused massive levels of environmental harm, especially the US which is the largest historical polluter in the world. We know better. We have the technology and the imperative to prevent continuing pollution, so we should move quickly to do so, especially because human existence is at stake.
B. IMF and World Bank
See Austerity Measures and Economic Warfare from my policies on the US Machine for War and Terrorism for more information on where to start on this. These loans from the IMF and World Bank should be made with stipulations (possibly as grants), to be used to lift these countries directly out of poverty and directly into a Regenerative Open Source Circular Economies (ROSCE) through lowering inequality be creating vast infrastructure upgrades such as housing, schools, sanitation, healthcare, family planning, etc; and shifting to sustainable energy, farming, manufacturing, smart city design, etc.
C. Reparations for Colonialism and Imperialism
The Global North will also need to send reparations to the Global South for over 400 years of colonialism and imperialism too. The Global South is not poor and it never has been. The US and other imperial powers have been absconding with their sovereign wealth leaving these countries destitute and destroyed.
D. UBI and a Jobs Guarantee
We can also help to bypass some of the corruption inherent in these suffering and exploited countries, through sending funds directly to the people such as through a UBI of sorts to jump start economies and innovation, as well as lifting people out of poverty.
Then you combine that with a national jobs guarantee to get people trained to do the work needed to power the transition to first world country in education, economics, infrastructure, and human rights.
E. Population Stabilizer as a Side-Benefit
Helping to push these countries forward and skipping through the Demographic Transition’s stages and having these countries jump to first world status will also result in the populations of those nations stabilizing and then eventually decline as well due to quality of life, healthcare, economic, and educational increases.