Regardless of your political stance you will want to read the following 4 books which will greatly increase your knowledge of the root issues we face as a species. The wisdom and revelations from these 4 books form the backbone of my political ideals and my policies here. If you read these books, then please read them in the order I give below, because the revelations in the first book will help to understand the ideals and concepts in the later books – they build upon each other as they go.
Here are the 4 books:
- The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger
- The Inner Level: How More Equal Societies Reduce Stress, Restore Sanity and Improve Everyone’s Well-Being
- The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression
- The Best that Money Can’t Buy
An Important Concept You HAVE to Understand Before You Read These Books
In order to really get the most out of these books, as well as just about any issue of political significance, you really need to have at least a basic understanding of these 2 concepts – Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and the Biopsychsocial Model. Really, please take the time to at least go through my post on these 2 tropics before you read these books:
The 4 Books
1. The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger
This mind-blowing book shows how, if given a country’s or state’s level of income inequality, that it can be used as an accurate predictor of many things from:
- teenage pregnancy
- rates of incarceration
- depression and suicides
- average lifespans
- social trust
- and so much, much more.
There is a very strong correlation that cannot be dismissed, and it is scarily consistent. Perhaps, more importantly to our absolutely broken country, is that income inequality affects everyone including the rich. Everyone suffers from income inequality.
- Read: The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger
- The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger (Picket and Wilkinson, 2009)
2. The Inner Level: How More Equal Societies Reduce Stress, Restore Sanity and Improve Everyone’s Well-Being
This transformative book was written as powerful follow up to their previous book – The Spirit Level (above). It not only shifts the discussion on the harms of income inequality from correlative (as established by that previous work) to causal even by using a slightly more conservative epidemiological definition, which means: income inequality causes those problems.
Their work also discusses the underlying biopsychosocial reasons why income inequality has such a powerful effect on Humans globally so that we can understand why income inequality causes those problems.
- Read: The Inner Level: How More Equal Societies Reduce Stress, Restore Sanity and Improve Everyone’s Well-Being
- The Inner Level: How More Equal Societies Reduce Stress, Restore Sanity and Improve Everyone’s Well-Being (Picket and Wilkinson, 2019)
3. The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression
This amazing book powerfully shows the harms and the structural necessity of inequality, poverty, corruption, crime, and war which is required by monetary systems. It also gives a powerful answer which can enable a Humanity that lives sustainably and peacefully, all the while maximizing Humanity’s potential.
Hell, this book is worth it just for the appendix on sustainable energy. Seriously, if you love sustainable energy then just buy this book for that appendix and start your journey there.
Here is a talk by Peter Joseph in Nov 2017 covering his book (YouTube):
4. The Best that Money Can’t Buy
This stunning book visually illustrates the vision of a future that is possible once we have radically annihilated inequality – a world beyond, war, politics, poverty, and suffering – one where radical peace, equality, and sustainability saturate all aspects of Humanity’s existence and human potential and progress is truly unlocked and allowed to truly flourish for the first time in human history.
Want to Buy All 4 Books?
If you would like to buy all four of these books then check out the 2 links below where you can buy all 4 of them on Amazon in one click:
Some More Light Reading
Here are some books which are great honorable mentions to further expand your knowledge and understanding: